Welcome to Punakaiki!
Punakaiki is best known for its Pancake Rocks and Blowholes
– both a spectacular must-see when visiting the West Coast.
Punakaiki is the base from which to explore the natural wonders of the Paparoa National Park – from sandy beaches and rocky coastlines, through lush subtropical rainforest overhanging magical moody rivers, to spectacular alpine tops there is something here for everyone to discover.
Visit the Paparoa National Park Visitor Centre and find out much more about a special spot that has so many local secrets.
Stay a while and make Punakaiki your destination for a couple of days and enjoy the friendly hospitality the West Coast is famous for. There are taverns, cafés and restaurants, walks and activities to keep you busy, and a great range of accommodation to suit any budget.
There’s so much to do here!
- Walk one of the many sub-tropical rainforest and coastal tracks
- Take a horse trek through the scenic landscapes
- Take a journey into our galaxy with a stargazing tour
- Paddle the Pororari River by canoe
- Watch a spectacular West Coast sunset
- Explore one of the many unspoilt deserted beaches
- Swimming, surfing, fishing, and kayaking
- Rock climbing, bouldering and caving in the limestone formations
- Enjoy good food and coffee, or have your own picnic
- Knifemaking, glassblowing, local crafts, and watch artists at work
Click here for the Tāiko Festival 2018!